4th ANNUAL SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAIN BIKE FESTIVAL PROVIDES FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT
FOR MOUNTAIN BIKE ATHLETES AND FANS OF THE CYCLING INDUSTRY IN APTOS, CA
This exciting two day event presented by Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz (MBoSC) and FOX takes place April 13-14, 2013 and includes an exposition area with activities for bike enthusiasts, family members, and friends.
APTOS, CA – March 5, 2013 The Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival today announced the schedule of Expo Area activities and vendors. Presented by Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz(MBoSC) and FOX, the 4th annual festival will take place on April 13-14, 2013 (the weekend before the Sea Otter Classic in nearby Monterey) in Aptos Village, California.
The festival, which was created to celebrate the world class mountain bike facilities, riders, and cycling industry of Santa Cruz county, continues to grow year after year with the generous support of its sponsors, volunteers, and community. In just its third year, the 2012 event boasted a 50% increase in attendance and athlete participation over the previous year, attracting over 6,000 spectators, 200 amateur and professional athletes, 200 kids’ rodeo participants, 70 sponsors, and 150 volunteers. The festival’s success testifies to the depth of the mountain bike culture in Santa Cruz county.
Free Admittance to Family-Friendly Expo Area The Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival’s Expo Area will offer a comprehensive range of industry manufacturers and retailers with booths and demo products, as well as fun activities for the whole family. The event will be held at the Barry Swenson Builder property (Aptos Pump Track and Post Office Jumps) in Aptos Village, CA from 9am-7pm Saturday and 9am-4pm Sunday, and admittance to the Expo Area is free.
Expo area booths and activities include:
● Bike Industry Vendors
● Local Bike Shops
● Bike Media Representatives
● Bike Demos
● Shuttle Rides
● Sombrio Portable Pump Track
● Shimano Kids’ Rodeo
● Saturday After-Party (featuring WhoGas)
● Food Court
● Beer Garden
● Raffles and Silent Auction
● Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival Merchandise
● Spectating Opportunities
FOX Returns as Title Sponsor for Third Year
2013 marks the third year that Santa Cruz county-based suspension products manufacturer FOX has offered title sponsorship support to this grassroots event that raises funds for bike projects throughout Santa Cruz county. FOX's generous support contributes a great deal to the festival's success and demonstrates the importance of local community to this world-wide industry leader. Mark Jordan, FOX Global Communications Manager, affirms “The Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival takes everything that is great about the local mountain bike scene and brings it all together in one place. From families to amateurs and pros, the festival has something for everyone. We are happy to be a part of it.”
FOX is joined by event sponsors Bell, Clif Bar, Epicenter Cycling, Saris/CycleOps, Scotts Valley Cycle Sport, Shimano, Specialized, Summer Gravity Camps, and Sweetlines. Platinum level sponsors include Adventure Sports Journal, Barry Swenson Builder, Best Western Plus Seacliff Inn, Bike Magazine, decline magazine, Dirt Rag magazine, Gamut USA, GU Energy, Ibis, Kali Protectives, Pinkbike.com, Pivot Cycles, Rubena Tires, Shuttle Smith Adventures, Sombrio and Trail Head Cyclery, and Gold level includes Bicycle Trip, Family Cycling Center and VP Components. Primary sponsors Specialized, Ibis,
and Pivot Cycles are joined by other leading bike manufacturers Cannondale, Niner, Rocky Mountain Bicycles, Salsa (via Spokesman Bicycles), Santa Cruz Bicycles, Trek and Yeti Cycles sponsoring at Bike Demo level. The Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival appreciates the support of these industry and community businesses. Sponsorships are still available for most levels.
Popular Events and Clinics Return Bigger and Better
● Specialized/Scotts Valley Cycle Sport Short Track: XC racers weave and wind their way through the heart of the festival, speeding by the vendor booths, rallying through off-camber corners and pumping their way through berms and rollers. The 2013 race will run on a true mountain biker's course—the most fun half mile of singletrack in a closed course anywhere.
● Epicenter Cycling/Saris-CycleOps Pump Track Pandemonium: Pitting riders against the clock, this contest proves who has the skill to shred the hardest and pump the fastest through the perfectly apexed berms of the Aptos pump track's newly expanded, improved course.
● Summer Gravity Camp 831 Amateur Jump Contest: Amateur rippers show off their standout moves on the big jump line, vying for the grand prize—a week-long camp experience at Andrew Shandro’s Summer Gravity Camps in Whistler, B.C. Cam McCaul and Ryan Howard are slated to judge this exciting event held at the renowned Aptos Post Office jumps.
● Bell 831 Pro Jump Jam: The grand finale of the festival, the 831 Pro Jump Jam features local and out of town pros pulling huge tricks, promising to be a real crowd pleaser as always.
● Shimano Kids’ Fun Lap: Kids put on their race face and shred one lap around the "big kids" short track course and all win a prize. This event has no registration fee.
● Sweetlines/Clif Bar Skills Clinics: Pro rider Kat Sweet of Sweetlines will host two co-ed bike skills clinics—Mountain Bike Skills (for beginners and intermediates) and Enduro Skills (for intermediate to advanced riders). Participants will learn from IMIC certified coaches (including Lindsay Currier, Tammy Donahugh, Lisa Tharp and Lindsey Voreis) to get the most out of their rides.
PLUS Kat Sweet brings Sugar Showdown to the Aptos Post Office Jumps Kat Sweet’s two day event for the ladies includes a day of skills coaching followed by a day of competition. Skills focus on jumping, pumping, railing berms, and tricks. The comp—open to all amateur and pro women—is a fun way for clinic participants and other amateur riders to push their limits to the next level, as well as an excellent opportunity to showcase the top pros, inspiring women to follow their lead.
Early-bird Savings and Special Offers on Competitive Events and Clinics Registration
● Athletes and skills clinic participants who register between Tuesday March 5 and Tuesday March 19 receive 5 complimentary raffle tickets.
● In addition, those who register by Sunday, March 24, 2013 will enjoy discounts up to $10.
● Mountain Bike Skills and Enduro Skills Clinic participants can save an additional $10 when registering for the Short Track race at amateur level. Sugar Showdown Skills Class participants can save an additional $10 when registering for the Pump Track Pandemonium contest at amateur level. Skills clinics participants are sure to compete with confidence after honing new skills.
● Ladies who register for women's events by Thursday, March 31, 2013 will receive 25% off Loeka Clothing*
Qualifying women's events are:
~ Sweetlines Sugar Showdown Skills Clinic
~ Sweetlines Sugar Showdown Santa Cruz (Jump Contest)
~ Specialized Bicycles/Scotts Valley Cycle Sport Short Track race, women's classes
~ Epicenter Cycling/ Saris&CycleOps Power Pump Track Pandemonium, women's classes
*25% discount applicable to everything except jackets & pants; offer expires 3/31/13
On-line registration for all events will close on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 11:59 pm. For race and contest registration, schedule and event details please visit the SCMBF website:
SANTA CRUZ SUPER ENDURO FALL DATE ANNOUNCED
MBoSC is excited to announce that the Santa Cruz Super Enduro (SCSE) will run at Soquel Demonstration State Forest (Demo) October 12-13, 2013, as part of the newly-formed California Enduro Series. Last year, MBoSC made history with the addition of Santa Cruz’s debut superenduro to the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival’s competitive events line-up. This Euro-style enduro—featuring one bike, three climbs, three timed descents—was the first-ever legally sanctioned race at Demo and attracted 177 applicants with pro and amateur riders from near and far vying for the coveted 50 available spots. A physically and technically demanding course on some of the sweetest trails in Santa Cruz combined with the camaraderie inherent in the superenduro format made this event an overwhelming success. Due to concerns resulting from the inclement weather preceding the 2012 Super Enduro event, the 2013 race can not be held during the festival weekend in April. Instead, the Santa Cruz Super Enduro will take place as a separate 2-day event in the fall, and will focus entirely on the race and the racers—promising an incredible weekend of riding, racing, and camaraderie for pros and amateurs alike. Details about the Santa Cruz Super Enduro will be released soon.
The mission of the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike festival is to celebrate mountain biking in Santa Cruz
county by bringing cycling enthusiasts together to participate in and spectate competitive and
recreational mountain bike events, promoting the world class mountain biking facilities and riders of
Santa Cruz county while bringing the local community together and advocating for an active outdoor
lifestyle. Through the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike Festival, MBoSC—a 501(c)3 non-profit organization—
has raised over $25,000 to support bike projects in Santa Cruz county.
To keep apprised of festival details, please visit the SCMBF website at santacruzmountainbikefestival.com. SCMBF can be found on Facebook at facebook.com/santacruzmountainbikefestival, and Twitter at twitter.com/scmbf.
Click on a cover to view issue.